Now With OLED Display
The kit has been updated to include our new menu driven graphic OLED display which makes our LDR preamp kits much easier to set up and control.
Kit Version of the LDR1B.V25
The LDR1B.V25K is a lower cost kit version of the LDR1B.V25 Balanced Passive Preamp that Tortuga Audio sells as a finished preamp product.
We encourage you to review the product information for the LDR1B.V25 since it is fully applicable to the kit version but for the exceptions mentioned below.
The differences between the base version of the kit and the non-kit models are as follows:
- Front Panel – The front panel of the kit is acrylic whereas the non-kit is brushed anodized aluminum with acrylic inlay.
- Hookup Wiring – The non-kit uses high quality Neotech UP-OCC solid copper hookup wire while the kit uses MilSpec silver coated stranded copper wire (Neotech available as upgrade option).
Comprehensive Balanced (XLR) Passive Preamp Kit
The LDR1B.V25K is an affordable audiophile grade passive preamp kit with everything you need including a pair of V25 preamp controller boards, enclosure, XLR jacks, power supply, wiring, control knob, remote etc.
The kit’s circuit boards are all completed and tested so you won’t be soldering resistors, capacitors etc. on to circuit boards with this kit.
Click To Show/Hide Parts List
Not A Difficult Kit To Build
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being expert level, this kit is probably around a 4-5 difficulty level. Most of the work involves straight-forward mechanical assembly and point-to-point soldering of wires plus plugging in a few cables. The most challenging part of the kit is getting the point-to-pont XLR wiring done correctly. It’s quite straightforward but the complexity of balanced wiring can be challenging to the novice. Even experts can get it wrong if the mind wonders.
All circuit boards are provided fully built and tested. No soldering of components to circuit boards required.
In addition to the kit itself, you will need the following items:
- Soldering iron
- Allen(hex) wrench for socket head screws used to attach panels
- Wire strippers for stripping insulation off wires
- Wire cutters for cutting wires to length
- Small screw drivers (both regular and phillips) for stand-off screws, encoder knob etc.
- Wrenches and/or sockets for tightening a few nuts.
Online Assembly Instructions
You can find additional information including detailed assembly instructions with photos in our online product documentation.
Please not that the online kit documentation is specific to the very similar single-ended LDR3.V25K kit. We do NOT currently have detailed assembly instructions entirely specific to the balanced kit. However, most of these instructions are either generally or specifically applicable to both kits.
- Hookup Wire – Neotech 26AWG UP-OCC Solid Copper